- Soutar-Freeman, B. (2003). Animal-assisted therapy program for children identified with behavioral problems. Dissertation Abstracts International Section B: The Science & Engineering. 63(11-B)
- Alexander, Melissa. Click For Joy. Sunshine Books, 2003.
- Arden, Andrea. Dog-Friendly Dog Training. Howell Book House, Second edition, 2007.
- Bailey, Gwen. The Perfect Puppy. Reed International Books LTD., Reader's Digest Publications, 2009.
- Booth, Sheila. Purely Positive Training. Podium Publications, 1998.
- Donaldson, Jean. The Culture Clash. James & Kenneth Publishers, 1996.
- Dunbar, Dr. Ian. Doctor Dunbar's Good Little Dog Book. James & Kenneth Publishers, 2003.
- Dunbar, Dr. Ian. How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks. James & Kenneth Publishers, 1998.
- Hetts, Suzanne, Ph.D. Pet Behavior Protocols. AAHA Press, 1999.
- Lindsay, Steven. Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training. Wiley-Blackwell, 2000.
- Manning & Dawkins. Introduction to Animal Behavior, 5th Edition Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- McConnell, Patricia, Ph.D., London, Karen, Ph.D. Feisty Fido:Help For The Leash Aggressive Dog. Dog's Best Friend, LTD.,McConnell Publishing, 2003.
- McConnell, Patricia, Ph.D., I'll Be Home Soon. Dog's Best Friend, LTD.,McConnell Publishing, 2000.
- McConnell, Patricia, Ph.D., The Other End Of The Leash. Ballantine Books, 2003.
- Pryor, Karen. Don't Shoot The Dog. Ringpress Books, Ltd,, 3rd Edition 2002
- Reid, Pamela, Ph.D. Excelerated Learning. James & Kenneth Publishers, 1996.
- Schwartz, Barry, Robbins, Steven & Wasserman, Edward A..Psychology of Learning and Behavior. 5th Edition. W.W. Norton & Co., 2001.
- Serpell, James (Editor). The Domestic Dog: Evolution, Behaviour, and Interactions with People, Cambridge Press, 1996.
- Stanovich, Keith. How to Think Straight About Psychology, Allyn & Bacon, 9th Edition, 2009.
- Tucker, M.T. (Editor). Professional Standards for Dog Trainers: Effective, Humane Principles. Delta Society, Renton, WA, 2001.
Human-Animal Connection As It Relates to AAP
Literature Directly Related to Animal-Assisted Therapy
Anderson, D., Urichuk, L., Imbealut, S., Husereau, S. & Nield, A. (2003) Final Project Team Repot For: The CHIMO Project - Improving Mental Health Though Animal-Assisted Therapy. Alberta, Canada. http://www.angelfire.com/mh/chimo/reports_new.html
Bachi,K., Terkel, J. & Teichman, M. (2008). Equine-facilitated psychotherapy for at-risk adolescents: The influence on self-image, control and trust. Manuscript submitted for publication.
Barak, Y., Savorai, O., Mavashev, S., & Beni, A. (2001). Animal-assisted therapy for elderly schizophrenic patients. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 9, 439-422.
Bowers, M.J., & MacDonald, P.M. (2001). The effectiveness Equine-facilitated Psychotherapy with at risk adolescents: A pilot study. Journal of Psychology and behavioral sciences, 15, 62-76.
Brooks, S.M. (2006). Animal assisted psychotherapy and equine facilitated psychotherapy with traumatized children in child welfare settings. In: N.B. Webb (Ed.), Helping traumatized youth in child welfare: Perspectives of mental health and children's services practitioners. Guilford press, ISBN: 1-59385-224-X
Chandler, C. K. (2005). Animal Assisted Therapy in Counseling. Routledge
Fine, A. (ed.)(2000) Handbook on Animal-Assisted Therapy: Theoretical Foundations and Guidelines for Practice. San Diego,CA: Academic Press.
Fine, A. (ed.) (2006) Handbook on Animal-Assisted Therapy: Theoretical Foundations and Guidelines for Practice(2nd ed.). San Diego,CA: Academic Press.
DePauw, K. P. (2000). The Review of Research in Therapeutic Riding. In: Engel, B. T. (Ed.). Therapeutic Riding 2, Strategies for Rehabilitation. Durango: Barbara Engel Therapy Services
Hanselman J.L. (2001)Coping Skills Interventions with Adolescents in Anger Management Using Animals in Therapy Journal of Child and Adolescent Group Therapy, 11(4),159-195.
Levinson, B. & Mallon, G. (1997). Pet-oriented psychotherapy (rev. 2nd ed.). Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas Publisher, Ltd.
Martin, Francois and Jennifer Farnum. (2002). Animal-assisted therapy for children with pervasive developmental disorders. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 24(6):657-670.
Nathans-Barel, I., Feldman, P., Berger, B., Modai, I., & Silver H. (2005). Animal-assisted therapy ameliorates anhedonia in schizophrenia patients: A controlled pilot study. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, 74, 31-35.
Parish-Plass, N. (2008). Animal-Assisted Therapy with Children Suffering from Insecure Attachment Due to Abuse and Neglect: A Method to Lower the Risk of Intergenerational Transmission of Abuse?Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 13 (1), 7-30.
Redefer, Laurel A; Goodman, Joan F. Pet-facilitated with autistic children. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders. 1989, 19(3):461-467
Scheidhacker, M. (2000). Therapeutic Horseback Riding within Psychiatry. In: Engel, B. T. (Ed.). (2000). Therapeutic Riding 2, Strategies For Rehabilitation. Durango: Barbara Engel Therapy Services.
Thompson, M., Mustaine, B. & Weaver, A. (2008). Effects of a trained therapy dog in child centered play therapy on children with anxiety disorders. Unpublished doctoraldissertation(Thompson). Argosy U, Sarasota, FL.
Thompson, M.J. (2009). Animal-Assisted Play Therapy: Canines as Co-Therapists. Paper based on a program presented at the 2009 American Counseling Association Annual Conference and Exposition March 19-23, Charlotte, North Carolina.
Vanfleet, R. (2008). Play Therapy with Kids and Canines: Benefits for Children's Developmental and Psychosocial Health. Professional Resource Press:Sarasota, FL.
Vanfleet, R. & M. J. Thompson (2008). The power of cross-species play: Canine-assisted play therapy. International Society for Anthrozoology poster session - Focus on theory, research and practice.
Vidrine, M., Owen-Smith, P., & Faulkner, P. (2002). Equine-facilitated Group Psychotherapy: applications for therapeutic vaulting. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 23,587-603.
Doctoral Dissertations in AAP and Related Subjects
Heindl, B.-A., (1996). The effectiveness of pet therapy as an intervention in a community-based children's day treatment program. Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol 57 (4 A): 1501.
Lieber, J. S. (2003. Animal-assisted therapy for elementary students with emotional or behavioral disorders. Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol 63 (7 A): 2505.
Mcvarish, C. A. (1995). The effects of pet-facilitated therapy depressed institutionalized inpatients. Dissertation Abstracts International Section B: The Sciences and Engineering, Vol 55 (7 B): 3019.
Drawe, Heather L. (2001). An animal-assisted therapy program for children and adolescents with emotional and behavioral disorders. Dissertation Abstracts International Section B: The Science & Engineering. 61(11-B):6130
Hayden, A.J. An Exploration of the Experiences of Adolescents Who Participated in Equine Facilitated Psychotherapy: A Resiliency Perspective. PhD Thesis, Department of Psychology, Alliant International University, 2005.
Reimer D.F. (1999) Pet-facilitatedtherapy: An initial exploration of the thinking and theory behind an innovative intervention for children in psychotherapy. Dissertation Abstracts International Section B: The Science & Engineering. :60(5-B):2363.
Thompson, M., Mustaine, B., & Weaver, A. (2008). Effects of a trained therapy dog in child centered play therapy on children with anxiety disorders. Unpublished doctoraldissertation(Thompson), Argosy U, Sarasota, FL.